The MRD consists of:
- a touchscreen terminal
- a batch scanner
- a label printer
- technical infrastructure (servers, communication, networks, etc) to manage the data produced in operations
How does it work?
- The Mail Registration device is installed at postal facilities where transfer of custody takes place and is used by carriers or carriers representatives
- Two separate processes can be registered through an MRD: the delivery of mail consignments at destination (Proof Of Delivery, POD MRD) and the handover of consignments at origin (Proof of Custody, POC MRD)
- The post of origin nests by scanning receptacle IDs into handover equipment which is later staged for collection, attaching a nest ID
- Carrier-handler records the transfer of custody at origin at handover equipment level by POC MRD scanning of nest ID
- At destination the carrier attaches an MRD created nest ID to handover equipment after recording delivery at POD MRD
- The post scans MRD nest ID and receptacle IDs taken out of handover equipment delivered by carrier
- Data is collected and consolidated by IPC
- IPC issues a proof of custody and/or a proof of delivery for air carriers
- IPC produces reports for posts, handlers and air mail carriers
Currently, there are more than twenty sites equipped with an MRD or who are sharing MRD-like data with IPC. The benefits of using this device are numerous:
- Air Carriers can provide posts with MRD-based receptacle-level Proof of Delivery at destination which dramatically increases visibility over one of the operational grey areas within airmail transportation
- Handlers using the MRD to monitor their handovers to/from posts can have simple but thorough reporting of their operations through IPC’s systems. Operational failures are much easier to spot and to rectify
- Postal operators have access to accurate information regarding one of the missing spans within the airmail transportation pipeline: what happens to mail between plane arrival at destination and actual delivery to postal operator?
- Overall, both the POC and the POD MRD provide easy to produce but yet accurate additional track and trace possibilities that posts can translate into a better commercial offer.
The implementation and follow-up are ensured by the IPC. IPC makes sure that the installation of the devices is done correctly, optimises the process, develops specifications of technical requirements and provides the applicable support to users worldwide.
CLICK HERE TO GET AN OVERVIEW OF THE MRD IMPLEMENTATION STATUS
Map of MRD implementation
Check our video about the MRD