“This year growth of small and medium-sized businesses in our stores enabled business owners to create new products, provide greater selection to customers, and reinvest in their local communities through job creation,” said Nick Denissen, Vice President for Amazon. “Since we opened our shelves to third-party sellers in 2001, small and medium-sized businesses have been an integral part of Amazon’s DNA. Our guiding star is an obsession with customers, and the service we’ve built is more powerful because we have small and medium-sized businesses complementing and competing with our retail business.”
Third-party sales are growing at a faster rate than first-party sales on Amazon and across retailers in the U.S. During the 2018 holiday season, Amazon reported that sales by small and medium-sized businesses outpaced its retail business sales in Amazon’s stores worldwide.
“Selling on Amazon has been huge for Yedi Houseware,” said Bobby Djavaheri, Director of Sales & Development, Yedi Houseware. “Since we began listing products on Amazon 12 years ago, our business has skyrocketed and we now have 12 fulltime employees and plan to hire more this year. Amazon allows us to reach new customers across the U.S. and even worldwide, which enabled our business to grow 126% just last year!”
2018 Amazon Stores Highlights:
- Nearly 200,000 small and medium-sized businesses sold more than $100,000 in Amazon’s stores in 2018.
- More than 50,000 small and medium-sized businesses exceeded $500,000 in sales in our stores in 2018.
- The number of small and medium-sized businesses eclipsing $1 million in sales in Amazon’s stores worldwide grew by 20 percent in 2018.
- Small and medium-sized businesses in the U.S. using Fulfillment by Amazon more than doubled their export sales.
- More than half of units sold in Amazon’s stores are from small and medium-sized businesses.
- Small and medium-sized businesses selling in Amazon’s stores exceeded $1.5 billion in sales during the Prime Day event.
- Amazon Storefronts launched, featuring more than 1 million products from 20,000 U.S. small and medium-sized businesses.
In 2018, Amazon introduced the Small Business Impact Report. According to the report, small and medium-sized businesses selling in Amazon’s stores are estimated to have created more than 900,000 jobs worldwide. To view the report, visit: www.amazon.com/SMBreport.