How does it work?
Cross-border customers want to determine where and when to collect their purchases by choosing from a full range of delivery locations available domestically at the e-retailer’s website – at Point Of Purchase (POP) – or choose/change the delivery option while the parcel is already out for delivery via an online notification sent to the destination post – at a Point In the Pipeline (PIP).
The IPC Delivery Choice solution brings benefits for postal operators, e-retailers and consumers alike:
- This solution provides cross-border customers with the same service they are used to enjoy domestically.
- It offers postal operators an e-commerce solution which allows them to attract new businesses and be competitive on the e-commerce market.
- It brings more flexibility and choice for e-retailers, who can use it as a marketing tool to attract and retain more consumers.
- Moreover, end-consumers benefit the most as this solution offers them the possibility to choose the pick-up point which is the most convenient and adapted to their living style, and even allows them to redirect their delivery while their shipment is already on its way. A pick-up point can be a post office, a parcel locker, a shop or other types of locations depending on the offer available in each country.
- The consumer starts ordering goods online.
- The consumer chooses his/her favourite delivery location or pick-up point, e.g. delivery to retail point, post office, electronic postal locker or a defined address. This process is supported by the IPC Translation Engine (see below).
- The consumer receives a “ready for delivery notification” via email and/or text message and/or an app. The solution also allows the e-buyer to change or select the delivery method while the parcel is already out for delivery.
- The consumer picks up the parcel. If the parcel is not picked up within a defined period, a reminder is sent to him/her automatically via the same channel of communication used before.
To support posts with the implementation of the IPC Delivery Choice solution, IPC developed the Translation Engine, a tool that facilitates access to delivery location data in multiple countries. The tool enables XML requests for delivery points and redirects these requests to the correct data source. The data source can be either a remote web service owned by the inbound post or an internal database hosted at IPC referred to as the Translation Engine Light.
To find out more about the IPC Delivery Choice service, contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.